    SubjectRe: ZIP drive on laptop parport? any success with it?
    Date sent:      	Wed, 9 Sep 1998 01:44:23 +0200 (CEST)
    From: Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@e-mind.com>
    To: Paul Bunyk <paul@pbunyk.physics.sunysb.edu>
    Copies to: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu, David Campbell <campbell@torque.net>
    Subject: Re: ZIP drive on laptop parport? any success with it?

    > On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Paul Bunyk wrote:
    >

    > >Hi, everyone!
    > >
    > >I'm trying to use a Zip drive (via ppa interface linked into the
    > >kernel) on my ASUS laptop (running 2.1.115 ... 2.1.120) with no luck.

    Run "dmesg" and send me a copy of the output. The ppa driver is one of the
    most noisy SCSI drivers (for kernel messages - mostly when it trys to figure
    out the parallel port) but I can't help the fact that the driver has to deal with
    something like 20+ variants of parallel ports (and some people have this idea
    that all parallel ports are equal).

    Make sure that you not trying to use the "ZIP Plus" drive as this requires a
    completely different driver (stable but not submitted to Linus due to
    feature/code freeze on the 2.1.x kernel).

    David Campbell

    PS: I really need to clean up my web pages...
    Also I need to upload a patched "jazip" source code sometime.
    ========== Links for ZIP Drive drivers ==========

    Linux and Parallel ports
    http://www.torque.net/~parport/

    For ZIP devices and Linux
    http://www.torque.net/~campbell

    Driver archive for Linux ZIP drivers (including ZIP Plus):
    http://www.torque.net/~campbell/ppa

    Source for latest ppa driver (Linux 2.0.x):
    http://www.torque.net/~campbell/ppa.tar.gz

    Source for latest imm (ZIP Plus) driver for Linux 2.0.x:
    http://www.torque.net/~campbell/imm.tar.gz

    Source for Linux 2.1.x (Parallel ZIP + ZIP Plus + Docs + Utils)
    http://www.torque.net/~campbell/ppa/ppa0202.tar.gz

    Latest drivers for RedHat 5.1:
    http://www.torque.net/~campbell/RH51_IomegaZIP_drivers.tar.gz