    SubjectRe: Is Plug-n-Play capibility supported in Linux?
    On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Robert Butler wrote:

    > I'm going to port the Win95 plug-n-play network card driver to UNIX
    > systems. Just wondering where I can get the information about it? Any
    > pointers will be highly appreciated. I've heard something called "hot
    > swap" is it the plug-n-play alike function?

    'the Win95 plug-n-play network card driver' ?!? No wonder 95's networking
    sucks so bad! Only one driver! :) :) :)

    I'll assume you ment 'Im going to port the driver for a specific card to
    Linux is PNP supported?'. Yes, ISAPNP devices are supported, there is a
    userspace util that sets their location. Yes, PCI devices are supported
    and are fully PNP. Just look at the excelent drivers for 3com cards. :)

    Now? What network card is this? I'm not aware of too many network cards
    Linux DOESN'T support (I beleve it supports quite a few more then NT)?

    Also, unless this card is wildly differnt from other cards out there, it
    would probably be alot easier to modify an existing driver then to port a
    windows driver.

    More information would be greatly appricated. :)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.018 / U:62.228 seconds]