    SubjectRe: 2.1.120 sluggish![3~
       From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
    Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 00:20:47 +0100 (BST)

    > Are you using NFS? I'm assuming you are since you've been fixing it
    > recently, does it crash if you leave NFS alone?

    Tricky to tell. Its always using NFS extensively. /home is NFS.

    I think people need to look at the swap changes.

    One thing I have just noticed is that a (possibly important) invariant
    has changed. Now there is one place in the kernel where
    swap_duplicate() is called before a page is entered into the swap
    cache. Consider the changes in read_swap_cache_async(), the ordering
    is now:

    if (!swap_duplicate(entry)) /* Account for the swap cache */
    goto out_free_page;
    if (!add_to_swap_cache(new_page, entry))
    goto out_free_page;

    Everywhere else the code does:

    if ((entry = in_swap_cache(page_map))) {
    swap_duplicate(entry);
    }

    Ie. always it is the case that the entry is in the swap cache before
    it is duplicated. This invariant has been around for some time which
    is why I look at it suspiciously. Whoops, I look again and there is
    in fact one other place where the ordering is different
    (vmscan.c:try_to_swap_out).

    This could be a red herring, I'll look at it some more.

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.020 / U:63.856 seconds]