SubjectRe: Cobalt Micro (was Re: Build your own Motherboards)

On Sun, 6 Sep 1998, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

> I'm surprised nobody's asked Dave Miller and the rest of the Cobalt
> Micro crew: Is their mainboard custom?
>
> How about the Corel NetWinders?

They are massproduced. And represent a considerable investement in $ to be
created. mainboard unlike a piece of software needs specialized (and
expensive) equipment to be built and tested.

Of course there are ways to go around, (like using laser printers and
special paper to create metal plating) but still anything way beyound 2
sided mainboard is currently unachievable at home. I would be very
greatful to anybody who pointed out to me a sensible way to do this..

You can however do something not very complicated like ISA cards, serial
and parallel port devices. I have not heard of any custom created (i.e.ham
radio) pci cards. One can muse that perhaps USB (and maybe even FireWire)
will allow this, since dealing with a few wires and interface designed to
work with long wires will be easier. One can also hope for the existence
of integrated microcontrollers (say USB on one side and 16 bit bus on the
other).

Note that all said above _does not_ apply to production envireonment.
If you have money you can do it. You'll probably need more money to market
it, but that is a completely different issue.

Vladimir Dergachev

> ----
> Aaron J. Grier | Staff Programmer, OGI | agrier@cse.ogi.edu
> "Windows is the one true OS. MS invented the GUI. MS invented the 32
> bit OS. MS is open and standard. MS loves you. We have always been
> at war with Oceania." -- Tracy Reed
>
> -
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/faq.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.177 / U:0.232 seconds]