SubjectRE: AMD SMP
Date
I tend to think that we are looking in the wrong direction ad well as Intel
and AMD. They seem to be getting father away from the basic concept of
power computing. Number crunching is what a processor is designed to do.
Now the processor moves more and does more specialized functions on data
than needs to be done. A good processor should be simple. They call it
RISC. I have always been and Intel and Windows person (still am) but I
think that the entire concept that Intel has to deal with (backward
compatibility) should be dumped and an entirely new processor be invented.
They have the technology to achieve 1ghz. It's been around for some time.
But the current limitation on the Intel and Motorola architecture does not
allow for it. I sat that we should design a new chip entirely with 3 things
in mind:
Speed (achievable)
SMP/ASMP/TANDEM processing (currently here)
Heat dissipation (possible if chip size reduced ie removal of unneeded
instructions)

As a programmer, you can do everything that the MMX processor does with code
and if the chip was 2 times faster you code would beat the MMX (30%)
internal ability. If you removed MMX you could achieve that 2x speed.

Remember, you could put a RISC chip into a microwave and would work but why
would it need MMX.

I could be wrong and probably and but this is just MHO.

Gary Smith
gw-smith@ix.netcom.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.171 / U:0.272 seconds]