SubjectRe: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?
Date
Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Redvers Davies wrote:

>> Another feature that we can perhaps learn from this excellent company
>> is the "snapshot" function.

> This feature is actually quite cool - we at Raytheon use it during our
> development to preserve tracking of changed files on our home directories.

Hmm...couldn't this better be implemented as a userspace nfsd,
presenting a virtual filesystem based on backup data - e.g. amanda's
index files?

Of course, actually trying to *do* anything with the files might cause
an "insert tape number xx" error message, and the request would have to
be delayed.

~kzm