    SubjectRe: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?
    Date
    Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> writes:

    > On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Redvers Davies wrote:

    >> Another feature that we can perhaps learn from this excellent company
    >> is the "snapshot" function.

    > This feature is actually quite cool - we at Raytheon use it during our
    > development to preserve tracking of changed files on our home directories.

    Hmm...couldn't this better be implemented as a userspace nfsd,
    presenting a virtual filesystem based on backup data - e.g. amanda's
    index files?

    Of course, actually trying to *do* anything with the files might cause
    an "insert tape number xx" error message, and the request would have to
    be delayed.

    ~kzm