SubjectRe: TCP Stall (IS GONE!!!!!)
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > ahh, if only this were true.
> >
> > I still get them. i am connected to an ISP who is using Ascend
> > equipment, which someone a few months ago claimed is responsible for
> > some of the stalls and poor download rates.
>
> The Xylogics terminal servers also show the same
> behaviour. The stalls are just as bad as before :(

Maybe we are talking about different stalls. The stalls I used to get
caused ftp to stop receiving data for several minutes at a time. This
seems to be gone.

I have always had poor interactive performance over PPP, making
editing nearly impossible with the 1-2 second character delays, etc.

I got used to downloading work, doing the edit locally, then uploading
the result. Interactive performance will probably always be poor because
a single typed character results in a packet with a minimum packet-length
that must be sent, ACked, then the echo results in the same overhead
in reverse.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.123 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.472 / U:0.196 seconds]