SubjectRe: Odd error.
On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Adrian Bridgett wrote:

> comment out the lines in net/ipv4/icmp.c :-) I do this to prevent syslog
> taking up 15% CPU at work :-( The helpdesk havn't exactly been helpful in
> the past when mentioning Linux either.

You may _REALLY_ want to look at putting a '-' before the filenames in
your syslog.conf file. This will turn off the fsync() in syslogd for
every line that comes in. The advantage to doing this is that syslogd
will be able to take thousands of lines per second instead of ~10 lines
per second and it will probably make your hard drive life 100 times
longer. The disadvantage is that if your system crashes, you may lose
the last few lines of the syslog due to the buffers only being flushed
periodically.

Simon-, the I-hate-fsync() guy

| Simon Kirby | Systems Administration |
| mailto:sim@netnation.com | NetNation Communications |
| http://www.netnation.com/ | Tech: (604) 684-6892 |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.040 / U:0.680 seconds]