    SubjectRe: Differences between FreeBSD and Linux system call mechanism
    > The odd thing is that iBCS still contains remnants of an attempt at xBSD
    > emulation, predicated on xBSD using the same call gate as iBCS (lcall 7,0).
    > Did xBSD switch to something else at some point, or was Terry talking
    > completely out of his hat about Linux vs. xBSD and call gates?

    trap-gate, Trap-gate, TRAP-gate!

    BSD does what Linux does, and has for a while.

    To the other guy:

    Mapping system call pages into a user space program for a speedup
    is the same speed as using a task-gate. In both cases you either
    select a TSS decriptor from the GDT or a task-gate descriptor from
    either the GDT or LDT.

    Terry Lambert
    or previous employers.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.020 / U:3.800 seconds]