SubjectRe: Why linux sometimes recognizes only 64mb memory while I have 400mb
well yeah... that's probably true.. i do believe that 2.0.36 actually
will/does do autodetecting in the prereleases.. i am not sure though
because well, i don't have > 64 mb of ram... sorry for being confusing..
i will avoid it if possible next time... and true that it is in turn
passed to the kernel and what not... sorry for any confusion i may have
caused..

_.
__ ___| !__
\ ` | | aaron pratt - goatboy
| ` / ` | twotone.representation.net
|___ !__,__\ aaronp@linworth.org
/_____|goatboy@twotone.representation.net
(#614) <groVette> goatboy is a dumbass

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998 kernel@whitestar.soark.net wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, GoatBoy wrote:
>
> > that isn't a kernel problem at all.
>
> Actualy it is, in that we will only autodetect up to 64 megs of ram on a
> x86, I vaugely remember seeing patchs to fix this in the past..
>
> > As of the most recent stable kernel 2.0.35 you have to pass an append
> > statement to lilo telling it how much ram you have over the 64 it will
> > autodetect... put the following line in your /etc/lilo.conf
> > append="mem=400M"
>
> Actualy its as a arguement to the kernel I beleve, lilo is not the only
> way to load a kernel, perhaps the most common on x86, however..
>
> > then re-install lilo by executing 'lilo' from the command prompt,
> > restart your machine and you should be set
>
> 're-install' can provide a little confusion for some, tho it is accurate a
> note explaining what is ment could be handy..
>
> (Don't mean to be overly picky or such)
> BTW, don't we have a nice FAQ someplace for this stuff?
>
> Zephaniah E, Hull..
> >
> > _.
> > __ ___| !__
> > \ ` | | aaron pratt - goatboy
> > | ` / ` | twotone.representation.net
> > |___ !__,__\ aaronp@linworth.org
> > /_____|goatboy@twotone.representation.net
> >
> > On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Jong wrote:
> >
> > > Is this a kernel level problem or not?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jong
> > > --
> > >
> > > Jong : A biology student
> > >
> > > Tel:617-432-0063, 617-713-0990 (home)
> > > http://cyrah.med.harvard.edu/bioperl.html
> > > http://cyrah.med.harvard.edu/Project/Geanfammer/geanfammer.html
> > > http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/modules/by-authors/Jong_Park/
> > >
> > > -
> > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> > > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.rutgers.edu
> > > Please read the FAQ at http://www.altern.org/andrebalsa/doc/lkml-faq.html
> > >

> > -
> > Please read the FAQ at http://www.altern.org/andrebalsa/doc/lkml-faq.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.036 / U:0.520 seconds]