SubjectRe: (reiserfs) Re: Implementing Meta File information in Linux (and a note at the end on current reiserfs status)
Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> But we _can't_ always do that. Linux in a network of other Unix
> machines cannot rely on everybody upgrading all of their tools! Just
> leave the semantics as they are and everybody will play well together.
>
> --Stephen

I will leave them as they are until I have chewed and swallowed the tasks I bit off
in doing a VFS compliant filesystem. Then I will try to make the case
that it is time to add substantial upwardly compatible semantics to VFS,
but probably not for another two years.

(I can agree that small changes to VFS semantics probably aren't worth the bother.)

Hans

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.216 / U:0.164 seconds]