    SubjectRe: utility for testing ram?
    On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

    >The best thing I've ever found to test memory to destruction is Linux, with
    >OS/2 a close second. :-} Boot Linux and do a full kernel compile, if your
    >memory is at all flaky the compile *will* die with a signal.

    That is not necessarily true. It *MAY* die. Flaky memory,
    depending on the trouble, may or may not crash the computer. A
    lot of memory problems are intermittent. Also, even if a
    particular bit was stuck on, or stuck off, it may not affect
    something for a while, depending on what data or code actually
    hits that memory page.

    Use a memory checker program that does pattern testing. This
    tests memory very well for problems. There are such utils out
    there for Linux, and someone is likely to point them out in this
    thread.

    One such program is Norton Utilities, however that is certainly
    not available for Linux.... *yet*...

    You can boot off floppy though, and run NDIAGS if you have Norton
    Utils...

    Good luck!
    TTYL

    --
    Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

    Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net