    SubjectRe: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?
    On 28 Sep 1998 ketil@ii.uib.no wrote:

    > PPro, while a good CPU is getting old, the Quad board costs $1000, and
    > the PII is probably cheaper. You should be able to put together a dual
    > PII at 350MHz for the price of the Quad board alone, it will be as fast,
    > and have higher memory bandwidth etc for free.

    if you like to live dangerously :) getting the celeron 300A and
    overclocking to 450 seems like the best bang for the buck right now. My
    coworker reports this being rocksolid. Of course I wouldn't do this for a
    server.

    > RAID mirroring is fast and reliable, but expensive, RAID striping with
    > error correction, is cheaper in disk cost, but much slower writing.
    >
    > (When will we see a mirrored volume acting as a cache for a larger
    > stripe/ecc volume? HP does something like this, I think)
    >
    > Last time the cache discussion was brought up - a long time ago, surely,
    > it was concluded that controllers with cache was evil - or at best, a
    > waste of money, and that that money was better spent on RAM, which is
    > usually cheaper and faster, anyway. Has something changed?

    The linux raid md stuff works amazingly well, at one point we had
    something like a 67GB software raid5 here and it worked just fine except
    when it crashed. Hope the journaling stuff is coming soon.

    > > 2.0, almost; the 2.1/2.2 series is definately ready.
    >
    > Wouldn't you want to run 2.2.x, where x is large enough that most bugs
    > have been weeded out of 2.2.0? 2.1 is still labeled "experimental", and
    > there's been enough troubles with the latest kernels that I'd wait a bit
    > longer for an enterprise-critical system.

    AFAIK, there is no 2.2.x. =) We currently use 2.1.86+patches as our stable
    kernel. People that live dangerously use the latest kernel currently at
    2.1.123 (untested by me). So the "later" kernels are okay just not the
    latest.

    --Jauder

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.024 / U:123.668 seconds]