SubjectRe: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:06:20 -0400, Theo Van Dinter <> said:

> I read a paper ( the
> other day about the WAFL filesystem (used on the Network Appliances at
> The NetApp boxes use NVRAM to record a log of NFS
> activity since the last write to disk, and it does a consistency
> "snapshot" at least once every 10 seconds. Basically it comes down to
> this: The filesystem on disk is always consistent (ie: no fsck needed
> after reboot), and the nvram stores what changed since the last write
> (battery backed up so a power failure doesn't kill it) ...

Sounds exactly like the ext2fs journaling I'm working on, doesn't it? :)

The journaling will, by default, use a reserved journal inode on your
existing filesystem, but it will have an option to journal to a separate
device if you want. And if you happen to have a solid-state SCSI disk,
just store the journal there (or on a local nvram board, if you have
such a thing).