    SubjectShared mmap write-out (was: Re: patch cow-swapin)
    On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Ion Badulescu wrote:
    >
    > >Here is a small program which will demonstrate the bug. Change the FILESIZE
    > >value so it won't kill your machine, make sure you have enough disk space
    > >(and no file called "foo"), then start it and watch the "bo" column of a
    > >"vmstat 1".
    >
    > We are working on the "si" column. I' ve checked that the "si" column
    > is always 0 with the new experimental smart swap cache code (2.1 only).

    Right, I know. But the problem is similar, that is, the parent doesn't
    know what the child is doing with pages in their shared mapping. This time
    it's not even COW, it's a shared mapping altogether..

    > Yes bo is full with 2.1 too, but I have not read your source and so I don'
    > t know if this is the right behavior.

    In short, here is what the program is doing:

    1. create a large file
    2. mmap it read/write shared
    3. touch all pages in the mapping once, never touch them again
    4. fork, then the child execs "/bin/echo", at which point the kernel
    fsync's the large file (why? this is question no. 1) -> lots of disk
    activity
    5. goto 4

    So, question no. 2: why is the disk activity happening for *each* child,
    although the pages are *never* touched again? They are part of the page
    cache according to /proc/meminfo, so they should be marked non-dirty once
    they're first flushed to the disk, and then nothing else should happen.

    Thanks,
    Ion

    --
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
    than to open it and remove all doubt.