    SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
    Date
    Am Mon, 21 Sep 1998 schrieb Stefan Monnier:

    >> If by more you mean `UDI drivers that can be used on Linux instead
    >> of no driver at all because the vendor refuses to release hardware
    >> specs', yes, I can agree with that. This doesn't stop the vendors
    >> who are releasing specs from continuing to release specs.
    > Many vendors only release specs because of the pressure of thousands of users
    > complaining `it doesn't work with Linux'. Now if you replace this `it
    > doesn't work' with `it's slow', do you really believe that the pressure will
    > still be sufficient ?

    Most vendors are only releasing specs because that is an ultra-cheap way of
    getting drivers developed which they can use themselves (and maybe even port to
    commercial Unices), AND win a few more users.

    I don't think the Linux 'pressure' is already big enough to make vendors
    release specs who're not already at least thinking of it themselves.

    --
    _ciao, Jens_______________________________http://www.pinguin.conetix.de_

    cat /dev/boiler/water | tea | sieve > /cup
    mount -t hdev /dev/human/mouth01 /mouth
    cat /cup >/mouth/gulp