SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Erik Corry wrote:
> Expect GPL driver writers to disagree, in court if necessary.
> BeOS tried this and had to back down. Whether it was the bad

Be was using GPL'ed code in two ways. (1) They had GPL'ed stuff linked into
their kernel. I believe, for example, that their memory allocated had GNU
malloc in it. The apparently confused GPL and LGPL. When this was pointed
out by RMS, they replaced the GPL'ed code. "Back down" is probably not the
best way to describe this. (2) They have wrappers that let them use some
Linux drivers in a dynamically loaded manner. They did not stop using these.
I don't know if they ship the Linux drivers on their CD, but their drivers
page is full of links to GPL'ed drivers and makefiles to make them work
under BeOS.

--Tim

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.048 / U:0.136 seconds]