    SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
    On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Erik Corry wrote:

    >Note that from the point of view of most Linux contributors
    >this is not an unfortunate consequence of the GPL, it's
    >part of the reason we write Linux stuff in the first place.
    >We like it that way. People who disagree can release
    >under two licenses, as Larry Wall (perl) does.

    I don't understand how someone can release a program under more
    than one license without the licenses conflicting.

    Lets say I make program "foo". In that program, I include the
    standard GPL paraphanalia, and notices... If I also strip those
    sources of GPL paraphanalia/notices, and then include some other
    license, perhaps some strict copyright, with no modifications,

    Doesn't the second license conflict with the first, and
    invalidate one or the other licenses, or both?

    If it is valid to do both, then both become pointless. Someone
    takes the "foo" sources, and modifies them. When sued, they say
    "Oh, I was using the GPL'd sources". Someone else takes the
    sources, and modifies them, not releasing the modifications, and
    sells commercially. When sued by the GPL folk, they say "Oh, I
    was using the commercial copyright, and I've got permission from
    the author."

    If that is the case, then GPL is meaningless. Perhaps you could
    clarify my assumptions, etc... as I just don't understand how
    multiple licenses can pertain to GPL software. Either it's GPL,
    or not - no?

    Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

    Linux software galore:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.025 / U:2.408 seconds]