SubjectRe: Please try knfsd 980922
Date

> On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, H.J. Lu wrote:
>

> > Well, it works fine for me wth Linux client. If you can
> > find out why, I will take a look at kernel.
> >
> > Is pwd is a builtin or a normal command. You can get
> > the source to see why it does it.
>
> I'm not sure whether I will take more time for this, for the IRIX machine

It sounds like an IRIX bug to me.

> is to be substituted by the linux server... Nevertheless I have tested the
> lockd stuff:
>
> Catia reads and writes files (tested up to 30MB of filesize) without
> causing any errors. This looks good, compared to earlier tests. Catia
> heavily depends on lockd. The problem now is a veerrry poor write
> performance, I did some speed-tests:
>
> Read a 30MB file from server to AIX 4.3 workstation:
>
> >From linux-2.1.122: about 45 sec
> >From IRIX 5.3: about 45-50 sec
>
> Both with a stopwatch, good enough if you look at the next results:
>
> Write a 30MB file from AIX to server, includes 30sec of data preparation
> (no network traffic) by Catia:
>
> To linux-2.1.122: about 585 sec
> To IRIX 5.3: about 90 sec
>
> 2. Test: copy 30MB from IRIX client to linux server and back:
>
> cp cptest.txt /achilles/catv4 : Write to linux = 385 sec
> cp /achilles/catv4/cptest.txt . : Read from linux = 42 sec
>
> Network is 10MBit Ethernet TP, low traffic.
> Linux is a P100 64MB, 3C509 PnP, AHA 1542C, 2GB IBM SCSI
> IRIX is a R3000 33MHz, 48MB, 2GB IBM SCSI
> AIX is a 42P (140MHz) 192MB RAM
>
> The machines were all restricted to nfsv2 and udp and 8192 buffersizes.

I saw that one also. I don't have the time to track it down. It
must be a bug somewhere in the kernel nfsd. If noone is working on
it, I will take a look when I have time. But that will be a whole.

However, I was told you could turn on async write on the NFS server.

H.J.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.049 / U:0.896 seconds]