    SubjectRe: nfs_lookup_revalidate: %s fh changed

    On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:

    > Olaf Titz wrote:
    > > It looks like most stat() operations in an NFS mounted filesystem give
    > > the above message, so I'm getting swamped in them doing "make" or
    > > "rdist". (Linux 2.1.122)
    > >
    > > Looking at the source, it appears these are basically debugging stuff
    > > and can safely be removed. Am I right?
    > Hi Olaf,
    > You're correct that the messages are for debugging, but I'm curious as to why
    > you're getting so many. Which server are you using?
    > The message basically means that in trying to reuse a dentry we had a
    > successful lookup, but because the fh changed we're going to have to make a
    > new dentry.
    > Are other people seeing lots of these too?

    Yes, absolute storms of them! I had to comment out the error reporting
    code in fs/nfs/dir.c because the overhead of flushing the messages to the
    system logs was bogging down the system. Like Olaf, I assumed they were
    normal - and remained from your original alpha testing.

    I'm also seeing a flood of "inode mismatch" messages, but not in the same
    order of magnitude as the "fh changed" ones <g>.

    Seriously, if this is not a good thing, let me know what I can do to
    help you home in on it!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:152.132 seconds]