    SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
    Date
    Gerard Roudier says:

    > I have had a look into UDI books. This looks to me as the result on N
    > years of brain masturbation from 'has been' people that enjoy turning
    > simple things into complex ones since this makes feel them intelligent.
    > Let me doubt that a driver blindly written using these specs will work
    > without change on any architecture and be optimal enough not to be
    > ridiculous. All the UDI kernel interface reinvention will make debugging
    > a pain. What about the overhead in code lines and CPU cycles due UDI
    > stuff ?

    The reason it's so complex is because all the *nix implementations are so
    different. It's quite an undertaking to attempt to create a standard interface
    among such varying implmentations.

    UDI prototype environments (without kernel modifications, of course) already
    exist for Solaris and HP-UX. I don't know about performance numbers but as
    I've said before, our own UDI-ish driver interface which is designed along
    somewhat the same lines as UDI has shown no real noticable performance
    difference for our HP-UX implementation (I'm not sure of Solaris performance
    numbers). I also have a Linux implementation which has also shown very
    similar performance to a native Linux driver I also wrote for one of our FDDI
    devices.

    > I am not against UDI. In fact I don't care of such proposal. I want an
    > O/S that fits my needs, and for now I have one that did'nt need UDI in
    > order to be so.

    UDI isn't geared toward users. It's geared toward driver developers. Once
    an OS environment is in place, you don't need to worry about it. You write
    a new driver to drive some piece of hardware with the knowledge that all of
    the OS dependencies have already been taken care of. It's a tool for more
    rapid, standardized driver development. Whether the drivers your OS uses
    are written to UDI or not has no bearing on your use of that OS.

    --
    David Hollister Interphase Corporation dhollist@iphase.com
    Software Engineer Dallas, TX