SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
Gerard Roudier says:
> I have had a look into UDI books. This looks to me as the result on N
> years of brain masturbation from 'has been' people that enjoy turning
> simple things into complex ones since this makes feel them intelligent.
> Let me doubt that a driver blindly written using these specs will work
> without change on any architecture and be optimal enough not to be
> ridiculous. All the UDI kernel interface reinvention will make debugging
> a pain. What about the overhead in code lines and CPU cycles due UDI
> stuff ?

The reason it's so complex is because all the *nix implementations are so
different. It's quite an undertaking to attempt to create a standard interface
among such varying implmentations.
UDI prototype environments (without kernel modifications, of course) already
exist for Solaris and HP-UX. I don't know about performance numbers but as
I've said before, our own UDI-ish driver interface which is designed along
somewhat the same lines as UDI has shown no real noticable performance
difference for our HP-UX implementation (I'm not sure of Solaris performance
numbers). I also have a Linux implementation which has also shown very
similar performance to a native Linux driver I also wrote for one of our FDDI
> I am not against UDI. In fact I don't care of such proposal. I want an
> O/S that fits my needs, and for now I have one that did'nt need UDI in
> order to be so.

UDI isn't geared toward users. It's geared toward driver developers. Once
an OS environment is in place, you don't need to worry about it. You write
a new driver to drive some piece of hardware with the knowledge that all of
the OS dependencies have already been taken care of. It's a tool for more
rapid, standardized driver development. Whether the drivers your OS uses
are written to UDI or not has no bearing on your use of that OS.

David Hollister Interphase Corporation
Software Engineer Dallas, TX