SubjectRe: Today Linus redesigns the networking driver interface (was Re: tulip driver in ...)
Rik van Riel writes:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> > > In truth for most of those cases running RTLinux is far simpler, far
> > > faster and far more reliable since in the RTLinux case you _will_
> > > hit your irq latency deadlines not "most of the time".
> >
> > Unfortunately RTLinux is further removed from the "real world" of
> > Linux. Launching RTLinux processes is quite different (you have to
>
> > From looking at the current Linux capabilities, it looks to me like we
> > can indeed give hard-RT performance. Sure, it may mean not using
> > broken 8390 drivers which globally disable interrupts while spending
> > 1.6 ms reading a packet, but hey, we can live with that ;-)
> > Being able to do all this with normal Linux without having to resort
> > to RTLinux is a goal worthy of pursuit.
>
> This should be doable by letting having the RT-triggering
> interrupt call schedule() from it's bottom half.
> I'm pretty sure there are some loopholes left, however, so
> I left some CC's to more knowledgeable folks...

That's already done. Trace the wake_up_*() function calls and you'll
see current->need_resched set 1 to. Then look at the interrupt return
path: it calls schedule() if current->need_resched == 1.

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.109 / U:0.516 seconds]