    SubjectRe: Firewalling and network resource consumption while under attack
    Date
    > If a firewall rule is in place to drop the packet on the floor, should
    > those packets still be allowed to consume the entire network stack?
    > Shouldn't there be a bit reserved for the communications that are already
    > in place?

    The firewall drops packets incoming for IP as soon as its proved they are
    valid IP headers and fed them to the firewall.

    > stalled after that. Of the six running connections I had (all ssh) all
    > but two of them stalled.

    That sounds like someone ran out of bandwidth. You are describing classic
    capture effect . How much do you know about your providers bandwidth 8)

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.021 / U:91.404 seconds]