SubjectRe: Firewalling and network resource consumption while under attack
Date
> If a firewall rule is in place to drop the packet on the floor, should
> those packets still be allowed to consume the entire network stack?
> Shouldn't there be a bit reserved for the communications that are already
> in place?

The firewall drops packets incoming for IP as soon as its proved they are
valid IP headers and fed them to the firewall.

> stalled after that. Of the six running connections I had (all ssh) all
> but two of them stalled.

That sounds like someone ran out of bandwidth. You are describing classic
capture effect . How much do you know about your providers bandwidth 8)

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.047 / U:0.132 seconds]