    SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
    And lo, Stephen Landamore saith unto me:

    > At the moment, I am doing some driver writing with full cooperation from
    > the manufacturer. What happened is that we approached them saying
    > something along the lines of: "is a Linux driver available, and if not
    > we'll offer to write one". They replied "there isn't, we'd love one but
    > we don't have the resources to do it, here's some info, away you go"
    >
    > I think the key here is enlightenment. These guys are enlightened, one
    > of THEIR requirements is that OUR code be GPL'd !!!
    Of course. Wouldn't want to not learn from your work (if you're smarter
    and/or know Linux better than their people) or not be able to give your
    work out if someone else called up and wanted a Linux driver.

    > We just need to convince EVERY manufacturer that they want to support
    > Linux, with our cooperation. If we offer to write a driver for them
    > everyone benefits. We get native support, they get a driver written for
    > them (for free!) and an expanded user base... remind them that they make
    > money from selling UNITS, not from shipping driver updates :-)
    But someone else writing a driver for them is *NOT* zero-cost. It takes
    sending out the documentation, maybe answering questions if the docs
    they send aren't clear enough for you, and every time they change their
    hardware enough to require a driver change, tracking you down and giving
    you updated data. These things all take employee time, and therefore
    (especially in these days of high turnover and consequent understaffing)
    take $$ to do.

    However, your basic point is (I hope) correct: them taking the time to
    give you what you need to write and maintain a driver should be more
    than made up for by increased sales once a driver is available, esp.
    if you push the driver's existence out to the appropriate HOWTOs
    (Hardware, and the subsystem-specific HOWTO, e.g. SCSI or Ethernet)
    so people who look will know it's compatible.

    Keith

    --
    "The avalanche has already started; |Linux: http://www.linuxhq.com |"Zooty,
    it is too late for the pebbles to |KDE: http://www.kde.org | zoot