SubjectRe: Open letter to the UDI folks?
Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> I'm thinking this business about UDI from SCO/Intel calls for a community
> response -- basically, an open letter urging the consortium to include
> OSD-conformant licensing of drivers as one of their conformance criteria.

I agree it does require a response. I would suggest that in addition
to OSD-conformant licensing of drivers that all Project UDI participants
who are also members of the I2O consortium understand that the "price"
for the Linux Community's help is the following:

I2O becomes totally open, just like Project UDI, in fact I2O
would use the following to indicate this:

(This is taken straight from the Project UDI Policies and Procedures
Document dated November 5th, 1995, I edited specifically for I2O)

<Begin Quote>
1. Purpose
The purpose of the I2O working group is to define and promote
a technical specification for high-performance I/O systems.

Participation in the specification process includes a number of
OS vendors and IHVs, and is open to new participants at any time.

Intelluctual Property

The I2O specification is intended to be publicly available for
implementation by anyone, whether or not they are participants
in the working group.

The _definition_ of any specification developed by the working
group will be placed in the public domain, not subject to copyright,
patent, or any other intellectual property right, so that any party
may implement or utilize the specification. However, any party may
develop and assert intellectual property rights over a particular
_implementation_ of the interface.
<End Quote>

If the participants in Project UDI & I2O are unwilling to meet this
"price", the Linux Community ignores them.

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

entertaining angels
by the light of my computer screen
24-7 you wait for me
entertaining angels
while the night becomes history
host of heaven, sing over me
==Entertaining Angels==Newsboys

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.076 / U:0.576 seconds]