    SubjectRe: UDI and Politics (was Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.)
    On Sun, 20 Sep 1998 01:25:48 -0700,
    Bob Taylor <> wrote:
    >If they are really serious in regards needing the Linux community
    >support, then where is our invitation to sit at the same table with
    >at least an equal vote? Hmm?

    For UDI at least it is not a problem. To quote from their rules.

    "Participation in the specification process includes a number of OS
    vendors and IHVs, and is open to new participants at any time."

    "The specification is intended to be publicly available for
    implementation by anyone, whether or not they are participants in the
    working group.

    The definition of any specification developed by the working group
    will be placed in the public domain, not subject to copyright, patent
    or any other intellectual property right, so that any party may
    implement or utilize the specification. However, any party may
    develop and assert intellectual property rights over a particular
    implementation of the interface."

    and later in the rules

    "Participation is open to all interested parties, regardless of company
    affiliation. Voting status is gained by attending three meetings within
    a three month period (a new participant can vote at the third meeting).
    A voting participant must attend no less than one of every three
    scheduled meetings in order to maintain voting status."

    So *if* Linus decides that UDI is to be supported, somebody can
    represent Linux at UDI meetings and even vote. Even without attending
    meetings, at least it is an open spec, unlike I2O.

    Having said that, I'm firmly on the side that having hardware specs is
    much, much better than binary drivers, no matter how portable they are.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:45.564 seconds]