SubjectRe: 2.1.120 - too many errors on the network interfaces
Date
On Sun, 20 Sep 1998 16:54:39 +1200,
Chris Wedgwood <chris@cybernet.co.nz> wrote:
>[about ifcconfig errors]
>This is such a FAQ I'm beginning to think the we need to make sure
>existing versions of net-tools (and similar things) check the output
>is pretty much exactly what we expected - no extra fields, etc. and
>barf if this is not the case.

That's only going to be possible if *every* utility that uses ioctl or
/proc can somehow decide that the interface format has changed. IMHO
it is not possible with the current interfaces. You would need to add
an interface version identifier to ioctl structures and /proc files
(like MODVERSIONS). The alternative is to insist that all changes be
upwards compatible, not really feasible.

ps. We don't want the "/proc files should have a structured format"
thread again please.

pps. My check_linux_requirements script has gone in to the
Documentation/Changes maintainer, I hope it gets into the kernel.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.587 / U:0.552 seconds]