SubjectRe: Today Linus redesigns the networking driver interface (was Re: tulip driver in ...)

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > I don't think that's the case, I think it's the other bh routines being
> > starved or something, so that while the clock is being updated, timers
> > nerver occur because they occur in bottom half entries too (and are thus
> > shut out if net_bh() runs forever).
>
> net_bh gets starved. Which incidentally means your "process only so
> many packets per net_bh run" proposal is unworkable. Since we never get
> -into- net_bh we can't control there.

That sounds like we're really spending most of our time actually handling
the physical interrupt. Is that right? That implies we don't even get to
the networking layer, we're just too slow getting the packet off the card.
And that's scary.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:1.171 / U:0.172 seconds]