SubjectRe: Implementing Meta File information in Linux
I just asked someone at MS and they confirmed that NSS does indeed use
NTFS streams (NSS is implemented as a file system filter). The filter
AFAIK takes care of all of the conversion issues -- so that if you open it
as a regular file, it looks like a regular file. If you use the
IStorage/IStream interfaces via StgCreateDocFile, it looks like a SS file.

-mike

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> I'm quite sure you are incorrect. MS Office 97 does use a "Structured
> Storage" format; however, I know of no plans to try to use NT 5.0's
> multiple stream support in NTFS to store MS Office's Structured Storage.
>
> Consider that a user may want to copy a Word file or an Excel file
> around from an NTFS 5.0 filesystem to a NTFS 4.0 or FAT filesystem
> (which don't support multiple data streams). Or consider what happens
> when you want to put the Word file or Excel file on the web.
>
> If users are forced to run a conversion program before they can take a
> Word file saved on an NTFS 5.0 filesystem and copy it to a floppy disk
> with FAT filesystem, they will *not* be happy.
>
> As far as I know, there is only one planned use of NTFS 5.0's multiple
> stream feature, and that is for the Appleshare fileserver running on an
> NT box. It's not at all clear Microsoft will use it for anything else,
> given the inherent problems with multiple stream files. (Remember, they
> need to interoperate with Windows 98 systems which will *not* have
> multiple stream files.)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.054 / U:0.320 seconds]