    SubjectRe: Next round of console patches
    On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

    > On Wed, Sep 02, 1998 at 08:20:32AM +0200, Gerd Knorr wrote:
    >
    > > There is. The VESA BIOS will tell you (a) how much video memory the board
    > > has installed and (b) where the linear framebuffer starts. vesafb (well,
    > > the real mode boot code) asks the BIOS for these values and uses this for
    > > the framebuffer device. And for exactly this area the mtrr entry is added.
    > >
    > > Assuming legal framebuffer space and MMIO don't overlap, this works fine.
    >
    > As far as I know, this assumption is not true at least for Mach64 based VGA
    > cards - they map their MMIO over the last kilobyte of video RAM in the
    > aperture.
    ^^^^^^^^
    Could you explain this? My dictionary has'nt conputer-speak translation
    for this...

    Does it really mean the video memory and mmio overlap? Or is this some
    larger area (say 16 MB space) for graphics I/O with the framebuffer (say 4
    MB) at the start and 1k MMIO at the end and some unused space inbetween?

    Gerd

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.022 / U:30.096 seconds]