    SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
    In message <>, "Khimenko Victor" writes:
    | SW> Linux users are an increasing purchasing block. A good binary UDI interfa
    | ce
    | SW> will expose more vendors and customers to the True Way. If a vendor makes
    | SW> a mess of it, we can either do it ourselves (no worse off then we are now)
    | SW> or use the increasingly viable options of spending our money elsewhere.
    | Times are changing :-(( Only few years ago most PC hardware was compatible on

    Indeed they are: consider that more hardware vendors are opening up *now*
    than before. This constitutes a counter-trend to the one you see.

    BTW, you assume that while M$ is putatively paying for hardware vendors to
    write buggy UDI drivers, Sun and SCO, et al. are *not* paying for non-buggy
    drivers or the specs to write same. That seems rather unlikely unless you
    assume the game is in fact already over --- and the flip side of UDI is that
    if SCO or Sun gets or writes a non-buggy UDI driver, it will work on a
    UDI-compliant Linux.

    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
    system administrator [WAY too many hats]
    electrical and computer engineering KF8NH
    carnegie mellon university

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:3.444 seconds]