SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
In message <ADf9_0s8NK@khim.mccme.ru>, "Khimenko Victor" writes:
+-----
| SW> Linux users are an increasing purchasing block. A good binary UDI interfa
| ce
| SW> will expose more vendors and customers to the True Way. If a vendor makes
| SW> a mess of it, we can either do it ourselves (no worse off then we are now)
| SW> or use the increasingly viable options of spending our money elsewhere.
| Times are changing :-(( Only few years ago most PC hardware was compatible on
+--->8

Indeed they are: consider that more hardware vendors are opening up *now*
than before. This constitutes a counter-trend to the one you see.

BTW, you assume that while M$ is putatively paying for hardware vendors to
write buggy UDI drivers, Sun and SCO, et al. are *not* paying for non-buggy
drivers or the specs to write same. That seems rather unlikely unless you
assume the game is in fact already over --- and the flip side of UDI is that
if SCO or Sun gets or writes a non-buggy UDI driver, it will work on a
UDI-compliant Linux.

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.458 / U:0.108 seconds]