SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
Date
Gerhard Mack wrote:

> Does anyone pay for drivers for Windows?

So? You play the game differently if you are doing that for "95% of
the market" - does not matter if this 95% perception is a reality or
not. Besides yes, I know at least about some drivers for Windows NT
where a driver is "free" (i.e. "no cost") but you have to buy a license
for it.

Even for Linux if you want OSS sound driver it will cost you. That
one is really cheap, and most likely worth for buyers even more and you
have alternatives, but this does not change the equation.

> The cost of the windows driver is built into the cost of the
> hardware whether we make our own drovers or not, I don't see that changing
> any time soon.

If you would really read what I wrote I was mostly wondering not about
money, but about control. They are not synonymous although one may
be closely connected to the other.

> Also :
>
> >UDI allows device drivers to be portable across both hardware platforms
> >and
> >operating systems without any changes to the driver source.

And the other fragments talk explicitely about "Unix on x86".
By scanning linux-kernel list you can find out pretty soon how many
"hardware platforms", each with associated quirks, can be found around
Intel family chips and clones. :-)

> I'm starting to wonder how many of you actual read the post from SCO.

I did not say that what I outlined in my posting will actually happen.
I even wrote something of that kind. Only I pointed out that the
whole things is maybe not so rosy as some voluntary cheerleaders are
trying to paint it and that it bears careful watching or we may
find ourserlves one day absolutely not a in position we aimed for.
One would think that a recent spate with TOG about X-windows licence
would provide a lesson or two (BTW - TOG seems to tinker with this
licence once again apparently trying to "forget" about some already
existing copyrights in that code).

On the top of it this industry is papered all over with annoucements
of most wondrous things, quite a few of them with a loud support of
"major commercial players", which turned out to be eventually something
else or, more often, came to nought. To quote our Fearless Leader:
"Show me the code". Before that it is a vapour anyway.

Michal

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.075 / U:2.092 seconds]