    SubjectRe: tulip driver in 2.1.11* - 2.1.21 is broken - new driver
    "David S. Miller" <davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com> wrote:
    > dev->interrupt I believe falls into a similar category, no code
    > outside of drivers even reference it and for all cases I see it
    > used it is "hey we reentered the interrupt handler, report a
    > debugging message and return" which is complete garbage.
    >
    > So I think dev->interrupt should disappear, and dev->tbusy should stay
    > as is.

    The only instance where I see those re-entrance error
    reports is when the driver has crashed (or something it
    calls has crashed in the system), THEN I see a never-ending
    repetition of these errors as the interrupt driver has
    aborted in surprising way -- usually killing whichever
    process that happened to be in the usermode at the time.

    If the dev->interrupt is removed, then perhaps the
    driver has a change of recovering, or perhaps not, and
    I would see different kind of an error cascade leading
    to completely frozen system.

    The real solution, of course, is to hunt the bugs, and
    fix them.

    > Later,
    > David S. Miller
    > davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com

    /Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@sonera.fi>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:2.365 / U:0.028 seconds]