SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
Khimenko Victor wrote:

> 19-Sep-98 17:34 you wrote:
> > Erik Corry wrote:

> >> I see no way of forcing hardware manufacturers to use LGPL.
> >>
> >> The only way would seem to be to not put UDI in the official
> >> kernel, but there are sure to be distributions that put it
> >> in anyway (Xi graphics will, I would guess) and individuals
> >> will always be free to do so.
>
> > Ummmmm.... That's really easy. 1st case: change the kernel license to
> > disallow commercial drivers. 2nd case: change the module code to only
> > load drivers containing the right string in the right place. That
> > string would of course be a protected certification mark. These are
> > sort of ugly and rude. Can anyone think of something nicer?
>
> This is not really needed. Inclusion of OSD-compiance in USD-certification
> will be enough :-) Since "Big Boss" (who will sign checks :-) is aware that
> certified driver is "Good Thing" while non-certified driver is "Bad Thing"
> (even if he is not aware what's driver is in first place :-)

It's not a bad idea, but there are a couple of problems with it, in my
mind. The first one is money. It takes a lot of money to make the
kinds of advertisements necessary to let the pointy-hairs know about he
certification and how it is important. Can an appropriate organization
(LI, SPI, FSF, etc.) get enough money together to support that kind of
campaign? I doubt it. TV costs thousands of dollars (hundreds of
thousands?) per _minute_.

There's another big thing. Hardware vendors will probably be able to
talk customers into believing that the certification is really just a
formality, or unimportant, or politically motivated, or done to make
money, or whatever, and that it is really insignificant. See how well
many Win95 programs sell without certification! I suspect a licensing
change is the way to go, or else possibly a cruel and unusual hack (see
my message) to keep binary drivers from working in other releases.

By the way, what is OSD? And USD?

--

Remove "NOSPAM" to reply.