SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
In <19980919223003.A29904@arbat.com> Erik Corry (erik@arbat.com) wrote:
EC> On Sat, Sep 19, 1998 at 11:32:06PM +0400, Khimenko Victor wrote:

>> EC> I see no way of forcing hardware manufacturers to use LGPL.
>>
>> Of course this is impossible. But if requirements for LGPL will be included
>> in "UDI certification" process then most (but of course not all) hardware
>> manufacturers will use LGPL.

EC> Get real!

I'm serious. ABSOLUTELY serious. UDI folks want help from Linux community,
right ? Linux community myst be paid! The only appropriate currency here is
source code. And I'm pretty sure that it's not possible: for example our
EtherJet Aptiva's uses GPL'ed drivers drom IBM for 1.5 years ! LONG before
IBM showed support for Linux at all... This driver is included in 2.1.1xx...
If manufacturer want produce binary-only UDI driver he is free to do so. But
this driver will not be certified :-)) That's all. Or UDI folks could take
Linux source codes and do anything with them (not vialationg GPL copiright, of
course :-). WITHOUT help from Linux community. Linuxers are not communists.
This is meritocracy :-) We must be paid for our help :-) They could make two
certification types: OSS-certified and simple certified. No problem. But EACH
AND EVERY Joe Avarage must be warned about danger of binry-only drivers!

P.S. May be more simple approach could help: somewhere in binary driver must
be field where URL to source is keepd and certified binary-only driver must
NOT include ANYTHING in this field. In this case linux kernel will be able to
show BIG FAT WARNING on bootup. May be this will be enough, I'm not know.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.084 / U:0.024 seconds]