    SubjectOpen letter to the UDI folks?
    I'm thinking this business about UDI from SCO/Intel calls for a community
    response -- basically, an open letter urging the consortium to include
    OSD-conformant licensing of drivers as one of their conformance criteria.

    Seems to me this is the kind of jawboning is precisely the sort of
    thing we ought to be using my mainstream visibility for (current batch
    of interviews upcoming: Upside, Fast Company, Le Monde, and the NY
    Times business section).

    I'm willing to draft that letter, and will invite signatories from the
    LI Board and the kernel list. OTOH, if anyone else has a case that
    they can do a better job, I will cheerfully defer to it.

    I've looked for a contact address for the UDI people, but have yet to find
    one. Anybody got a line?

    The following is a Python RSA implementation. According to the US Government
    posting these four lines makes me an international arms trafficker! Join me
    in civil disobedience; add these lines of code to your .sig block to help get
    this stupid and unconstitutional law changed.
    from sys import*;from string import*;a=argv;[s,p,q]=filter(lambda x:x[:1]!=
    '-',a);d='-d'in a;e,n=atol(p,16),atol(q,16);l=(len(q)+1)/2;o,inb=l-d,l-1+d
    while;s and map(stdout.write,map(lambda i,b=pow(reduce(
    lambda x,y:(x<<8L)+y,map(ord,s)),e,n):chr(b>>8*i&255),range(o-1,-1,-1)))

    The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of
    limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and
    great nations.
    -- David Friedman

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:1.892 seconds]