    SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.

    There are basically only two ways this UDI scenario can work.

    1. All the commercial backers of it, switch to using Linux for their OS
    and they just build hardware, or in SCO's case additional software

    2. SCO releases all UNIX source code under the GNU GPL, HP releases all
    sources code of HP-UX, Sun releases all source code for SunOS and
    You might as well ask Apple to release all the source code to

    Personally I would prefer the first choice.

    A more radical move would be for SCO to:

    1. Give, with no strings attached, the UNIX source code to FSF aka RMS.
    2. Give, with no strings attached, the UNIX source code to Linux

    Any of the above scenarios would surely have major impacts on Microsoft,
    and Bill Gates.

    Alex Buell wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, David Luyer wrote:
    > > They want to help us code something, or code it for us. They offer us
    > > some hope for drivers released at the same time as new hardware in return.
    > > This sounds mostly good to me. The main negative is that UDI may cause some
    > > places to not release hardware specs, since we can use the UDI driver, and
    > > the "I can't use it on Linux" argument wouldn't hold anymore. Then we may
    > > be stuck with potentially slow, inefficient drivers. And of course the
    > > threat of a proliferation of binary-only drivers, which is bad in the whole
    > > GPL ideology and bad in that it's unknown code, possibly buggy, no chance
    > > to review it, etc.
    > To be honest, this UDI initative is scary. For this to work, they MUST
    > allow fully GPL'd sources. Or they can go stick it where the sun doesn't
    > shine. Reading the original post seemed to indicate that the major corps
    > behind this initiative would have full control. That worries me because I
    > can think of no better backdoor like this for them to delibrately write
    > crippled drivers for Linux in order to de-rail the whole process and make
    > BillyShit Gates happy.
    > Cheers,
    > Alex.

    Terry L. Ridder
    Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)
    "We do not write software, we compose it."

    When the toast is burnt
    and all the milk has turned
    and Captain Crunch is waving farewell
    when the Big One finds you
    may this song remind you that they
    don't serve breakfast in hell

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.022 / U:8.152 seconds]