    SubjectRe: Booting from a flashdisk
    If I remember correctly (we  used to sell these things). The omnibook has
    a really funy bios with some really sophisticated pcmcia support built in
    so that it can recognize and use ata interface flash, rom and, harddisk
    pcmcia devices as bootable disks. It was an interesting feat, I remember
    being real impressed when we first got one. If I were you I'b probably be
    tempted to rawrite some kind of boot image to a flash disk and selecting
    that pcmcia slot as the bootable one in the bios, but given the intrinsic
    wierdness of the machine I'm not sure how far you're going to get with
    that tack.

    I was always kind of mad at hp because a floppy drive was a third party
    product for the omnibook 300, although some the future models (omnibook
    800 for example) came with them. It may be that the omnibook 300 like the
    original 2lb nec ultralight 8086 is a one of kind machine (the nec
    incorporated the first type 1 pcmcia (or actually jedia) slots if I recall

    On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Chuck Homic wrote:

    > I'm trying to install Linux on an HP OmniBook 300. Trouble is, the OB300
    > doesn't have floppy or hard drives. Instead it has a number of PCMCIA
    > flashdisks.
    > How can I make a kernel boot in such a configuration? I figured since
    > MS-DOS seems to work quite nicely on the thing, that loadlin would be the
    > answer, since loadlin could take care of loading up the kernel, then I
    > could worry about adding support for all the bizarre hardware into the
    > kernel. However, when I issue the loadlin command, I get, after the
    > loadlin loading data:
    > Uncompressing Linux...
    > ran out of input data
    > -- System halted
    > Apparently it is unable to decompress itself from the flash disk? And
    > loadlin won't load an uncompressed kernel image. So, any ideas?
    > -Chuck
    > -
    > the body of a message to
    > Please read the FAQ at

    Joel Jaeggli
    Academic User Services
    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
    It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
    arms. Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
    the right, 1843.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.104 / U:2.792 seconds]