SubjectRe: Frame buffer device thinkings...
> > Thats a matter of opinion. A blitting S3 console is definitely an order
> > of magnitude nicer than vesafb. Its certainly true enough to say being able
> > to grab all acceleration for the Xserver is not catastrophe
> Do you have benchmark results? I have. Smart redraw scrolling is faster than
> bitblit on my RAGE II+. Do not underestimate the speed of PCI. On ISA things
> are different, I assume.

I don't have benchmarks but I know how much better (faster) matroxfb
_feels_ than vesafb on a Millennium II. AGP, that is. And the CPU
isn't exactly slow either ;-)

On a completely unrelated framebuffer issue: I have a simple program
which swaps colormap entries to give me a black-on-white screen.
(Which isn't exactly the same as the "inverse" option, because that
swaps foreground and background, so if I set text to display in red I
get black-on-red instead of the desired red-on-white.) My problem is
that the palette is reset to the default on every console switch. I'd
like to have it persist across switches, but I don't know how
impossible that would be. Comments?

olaf

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.041 / U:1.288 seconds]