    SubjectRe: ide-cd bug in 2.0/2.1?
    On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Ulisses Alonso Camaro wrote:

    > Hi,
    > First of all I would like to thank your contribution in Linux and Debian
    > I'm not experienced in development of IDE peripherals but I found that
    > both 2.0.35 and 2.1.108 kernels suffers the same problems with a "partially"
    > broken MITSUMI FX001DE (4x) ATAPI cdrom, partially broken means that It can read
    > CDROM if they are very clean or new...
    > The reason I post this to you is not because I want to repair my old CDROM
    > (I have another one) drive but to solve a possible problem in the driver
    > The problem arises when it tries to mount a CDROM and fails not gracefully:
    > agapito# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom/ -o ro
    > hdb: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51
    > hdb: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30
    > hdb: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51
    > hdb: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30
    > hdb: irq timeout: status=0xd0
    > hdb: ATAPI reset complete
    > VFS: inode busy on removed device 03:40
    > VFS: inode busy on removed device 03:40
    > VFS: brelse: Trying to free free buffer
    > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb,
    > or too many mounted file systems
    > agapito# mount
    > /dev/hda3 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    > agapito# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom/ -o ro
    > mount: /dev/hdb already mounted or /cdrom/ busy
    > The CDROM tried to be mounted here, can be most times mounted in the same
    > drive. I'm sure that is a hardware problem but the VFS/driver should handle
    > this cleanly, Isn't it?
    > If you think I can be a help for you I'll try my best in order to fix it.
    > Regards,
    > Ulisses

    Could you try the latest kernel plus the patch included at:

    amoung other fixes, I added in a call to invalidate_inodes() before the
    call to invalidate_buffers() to avoid this type of problem. Give it a shot,
    and it should fix things right up. Assuming this fixes it right up,
    you can then encourage Linus to stick this into the kernel.

    Erik B. Andersen Web:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.027 / U:36.832 seconds]