SubjectRe: ide-cd bug in 2.0/2.1?
On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Ulisses Alonso Camaro wrote:

> Hi,
> First of all I would like to thank your contribution in Linux and Debian
> I'm not experienced in development of IDE peripherals but I found that
> both 2.0.35 and 2.1.108 kernels suffers the same problems with a "partially"
> broken MITSUMI FX001DE (4x) ATAPI cdrom, partially broken means that It can read
> CDROM if they are very clean or new...
> The reason I post this to you is not because I want to repair my old CDROM
> (I have another one) drive but to solve a possible problem in the driver
> The problem arises when it tries to mount a CDROM and fails not gracefully:
> agapito# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom/ -o ro
> hdb: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51
> hdb: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30
> hdb: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51
> hdb: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30
> hdb: irq timeout: status=0xd0
> hdb: ATAPI reset complete
> VFS: inode busy on removed device 03:40
> VFS: inode busy on removed device 03:40
> VFS: brelse: Trying to free free buffer
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb,
> or too many mounted file systems
> agapito# mount
> /dev/hda3 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> agapito# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom/ -o ro
> mount: /dev/hdb already mounted or /cdrom/ busy
> The CDROM tried to be mounted here, can be most times mounted in the same
> drive. I'm sure that is a hardware problem but the VFS/driver should handle
> this cleanly, Isn't it?
> If you think I can be a help for you I'll try my best in order to fix it.
> Regards,
> Ulisses

Could you try the latest kernel plus the patch included at:

amoung other fixes, I added in a call to invalidate_inodes() before the
call to invalidate_buffers() to avoid this type of problem. Give it a shot,
and it should fix things right up. Assuming this fixes it right up,
you can then encourage Linus to stick this into the kernel.

Erik B. Andersen Web:

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.022 / U:2.772 seconds]