SubjectRe: NEWSFLASH! Linux ported to Commodore VIC-20!!
Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> The Ohio Scientific P1 did it with a cheap DAC (which doubled as an on-board
> 300baud modem) and simply did raw bytes to/from the tape drive. No error
> correction, so loading from tape was always an adventure even if the tape
> was known good :-)
>
> I had to boot a Plexus P/60 from tape once or twice, but that was 1600bpi
> magtape. Again, it was pretty much raw data, albeit in the form of a
> filesystem image written to the tape.
>
> I agree with the question "why?" :-)

Actually, I've withdrawn the 'why?', because this idea actually has some
merit. For cheapos like me who happen to have a sound card, this is a
~free backup technique. If we really can achieve a good fraction of 1MB
(megabyte not bit) per minute of tape, then this isn't at all a useless
thing.

Some people seem to be scoffing at such high datarates, but I haven't
seen a good rebuttal yet...

Neil
PS: Have any of you guys had your kernel mailing list feed dry up
completely like me ?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.117 / U:0.664 seconds]