SubjectRe: GPS Leap Second Scheduled!
H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > On Mon, Sep 14, 1998 at 03:56:41AM +0000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > > It is supposed to mean that whether or not it's "annoying and
> > > confusing" to you have very little relevance to anyone else.
> >
> > Annoying is tough. But confusing? Surely it's essential for the
> > interface to be as clear as possible, since any mistakes on behalf of
> > the application programmer will likely go unnoticed until the next leap
> > second!
> >
> > Of course, the most obvious mistake is using UTC to measure the time
> > between events, and that'll just keep on being made.
> >

> Of course, which is why it is important that one can get either UTC
> or TAI from whatever format applies.
>
> -hpa
>
> -

I had simply stated that I preferred being given TAI straight, instead
of having to add or subtract an offset from UTC. I strongly suspect
that both UTC and TAI will be used far more than the difference between
them. I therefore advocate providing UTC and TAI in the newtimeval_t or
whatever.

/ David Feuer \
| dfeuer@binx.mbhs.edu |
| feuer@his.com |