    SubjectRe: NEWSFLASH! Linux ported to Commodore VIC-20!!
    On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Chris Zwilling wrote:

    > As far as putting linux on a VIC-20. The basic unit came with 4KB of
    > memory. There were expansion modules that brought it up to 32K, but the
    > 1MHz 6502 CPU wouldn't have enough to do anything efficiently. And you
    > thought memory segmenting on the '386 was bad. I don't think so.

    Primiarily because these 6502s were only limited to a 256 byte fixed stack
    at address &0100. Push anymore onto the stack and the machine dies a
    nasty untimely death. Yuck. I didn't even like the Commodore VIC series
    much but the BBC B (a British microcomputer that was miles better than
    anything else at the time and was well made but unfortunately it was
    pretty expensive - approx. US$800 at the time) with 32KB was very good,
    and it was a joy to program in assembly with it as its BASIC ROM
    implementation included a 6502 assembler. I still have a working BBC B
    with 32k somewhere that I bought fifteen years ago. Must dig it out and
    play Elite on it some day. Anyone remember Frak and the Capt'n Pugwash
    theme song?! :o)

    /\_/\ Legalise cannabis now!
    ( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
    > ^ < Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

    Check out

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.025 / U:77.444 seconds]