SubjectRE: my broken TCP is faster on broken networks
Date

agreed.

Along similar lines, and a point I meant to emphasize but forgot to,
is looking at the handshake. Looking at the user abort cases,
the loss of the first SYN is extremely painful. Network traces
show that on many stacks, SYN retransmission can occure at 6 seconds
and 24 seconds.
Essentially, if the first SYN of the handshake is lost, you may
wait 6 seconds before it is even retransmitted, often this is
enough to make the user hit stop/reload.
One of the nice points of T/TCP was that it tried to reduce
the handshake time. Even though T/TCP is all but dead, it
is interesting to consider the SYN with data proposals.
These days it seems like we spend more time in the
connection startup and teardown than in data transfer :)

Josh

/* Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed here are my own and not those of my
employer. This post, in particular, represents nothing more
than a personal interest in this discussion and does not
imply any actions, planned actions, or intent on the part
of my employer.
*/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.221 / U:0.352 seconds]