SubjectRe: APM and PCMCIA issue?

seth@job.cs.brandeis.edu said:
> Greets,
> I think I've found a slight issue with PCMCIA modems and APM. I'm
> short on details, as I don't know how to persue this, and was
> wondering if anyone has seen similar behavior.
>
> So the hardware in question is a gateway 2300LS with 64M of RAM, a
> PCMCIA modem (using self-compiled pcmcia utilities 3.05 (or whatever
> the latest is), 2.0.35 kernel with APM in the kernel and an updated
> debian slink system.
> The problem is that my PCMCIA script works 100% when I boot up my
> system. However, after suspending my system, the PPP script freezes
> upon trying to write to /dev/modem. After a reasonable time, /usr/
> sbin/chat returns an error that it cannot write to the device. There
> are no messages in any log file that look relevant. The symlink still
> exists. Ejecting the cards, mucking with cardctl, etc don't do
> anything useful.
> The behavior is not replicatable under windows95, PPP works fine
> after a suspend.
> rebooting or resetting the machines restores PPP to working order.
>
> Has anyone seen this happen or can give me pointers on how to solve
> this or provide more useful information so this can be solved?
>
> -Seth

Sounds to me like the card isn't being restarted correctly. Have you tried
using cardctl or cardinfo to reset the card? If that fails, have you tried
simply popping the card out and inserting it again?

If that still doesn't solve things, you might check out the pcmcia message
lists and post your previous message at:

http://hyper.stanford.edu/HyperNews/get/pcmcia/home.html

Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.080 / U:0.096 seconds]