    SubjectRe: Linux console cursor location?
    Hello,

    > One easy way to solve this is to use our direct VGA console library
    > which talks directly to the screen. This works perfectly under Linux
    > right now, however the problem is that when we exit we need to be
    > able to tell the Linux console to move the cursor location to the new
    > location that our console library has changed it to, so that it does
    > not overwrite our messages on the screen. Hence I am wondering if
    > there is a kernel call that we can make to move the console cursor
    > location? Alternatively how can we simply always move the console
    > cursor location to the bottom of the screen (some kind of escape
    > code?).

    Just use the appropriate escape sequence to move the cursor.

    > Also is there a kernel call that we can use to disable the console
    > scrolling which is done with the hardware panning registers? I know
    > that switching virtual consoles does this, and we would like to be
    > able to clear this before displaying our messages...

    When managing the videoram yourself, you should switch to the graphics
    mode. The console then resets the screen origin registers automatically.

    Have a nice fortnight
    --
    Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
    "A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems."