    SubjectRe: my broken TCP is faster on broken networks

    jamal writes:

    > It is extremely rude to make suggestions on how to break TCPs
    > net-friendliness. I dont see the hack value in it; neither does
    > it prove anything smart on your part. Infact i dont think what you are
    > suggesting will improve anything.

    Clearly it _does_ improve his network performance, and there is
    something very wrong with exponential backoff on the Internet.
    Congestion is not a temporary problem that can be fixed in such
    a simple manner. Even if every client does the backoff (hah!)
    there will be plenty of packets to which it does not apply.

    Real users do not ever tolerate 2 minute delays. Don't be silly.
    They hit the "Stop" button after 2 _seconds_ and start a new
    connection to avoid the stall. They kill the window and telnet again.
    In general, humans know to kill and restart a slow network connection.

    New connections means _more_ network traffic, not less. It sure
    seems that exponential backoff was designed for local 10base2
    with no collision detection. Perhaps a greedy algorithm would
    make more sense on the Internet.

    In any case, delays beyond 2 seconds make congestion worse.
    Since real users will restart such connections, it is very bad
    to let the backoff grow so much. Never mind the pure theory.
    We have _humans_ involved, and they don't wait 2 minutes.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.018 / U:29.408 seconds]