    SubjectRe: Suggestion for new filesystem : tar files ?

    > I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to implement tar files as a filesystem
    > in Linux ?
    > It sounds to me like it would be simple (at least for the read-only case), and
    > could be useful, eg. easily examining and extracting files from distributions
    > of software, or recovering backups, without having to use special commands.
    > Probably using compressed tar files ( *.tar.gz ) would be tricky and slow
    > though I suspect, since decoding each byte depends on the whole earlier
    > contents of the file (as I understand it).

    It has been done. Look at for hacked
    nfs server which cooperates with midnight commander's libvfs to make
    access to tar files transparent for you.

    The best software in life is free (not shareware)! Pavel
    GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.018 / U:118.732 seconds]