    SubjectRe: Suggestion for new filesystem : tar files ?
    Hi!

    > I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to implement tar files as a filesystem
    > in Linux ?
    >
    > It sounds to me like it would be simple (at least for the read-only case), and
    > could be useful, eg. easily examining and extracting files from distributions
    > of software, or recovering backups, without having to use special commands.
    >
    > Probably using compressed tar files ( *.tar.gz ) would be tricky and slow
    > though I suspect, since decoding each byte depends on the whole earlier
    > contents of the file (as I understand it).

    It has been done. Look at
    http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/podfuk/podfuk.html for hacked
    nfs server which cooperates with midnight commander's libvfs to make
    access to tar files transparent for you.

    Pavel
    --
    The best software in life is free (not shareware)! Pavel
    GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+