SubjectRe: Legal Issues with UDI ( was Re: [Fwd: Uniform Driver Interface (UDI)] )
Gerhard Mack wrote:

> The thing with it would be that we don't have to distribute them with the
> kernel.

While this may be true this could take us down the slippery slope of
Motif, Qt, etc. Somehow I can not imagine an end-user downloading Linux
only to discover that they need a UDI driver in order to even boot
the system, which is available in binary format only, and cost actual
money.

> Can you run proprietary programs on gpl operatong systems?

Running proprietary programs is a totally different issue.
The point being discussed is concerning UDI device drivers.

A bug in something like Applixware, WordPrefect, etc for Linux
does not directly affect the ability to run Linux. A bug in a binary
format
only UDI device driver would.

> On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Terry L Ridder wrote:
>
> > While the previous comments below deal with the technical issues of
> > performance of UDI drivers, this comment deals mainly with the
> > Licensing Issues.
> >
> > 1. Can you mix a GNU GPL'ed OS ( Linux & Hurd ) with non-GNU GPL'ed
> > drivers?
> >
> > 2. Can you mix a GNU GPL'ed OS ( Linux & Hurd ) with proprietary
> > drivers,
> > for which you do not have the source code, and there is not even a
> > glimmer of hope that you would ever have the source code?
> >
> > 3. Can you mix a GNU GPL'ed OS ( Linux & Hurd ) with proprietary
> > drivers,
> > for which you do have the source code, but the source code is not
> > released under the GNU GPL?
> >
> > 4. Assuming that all Linux UDI drivers are GNU GPL'ed, can a proprietary
> > OS
> > (SCO, Solaris, HP-UX) use those same drivers? (This could lead us
> > down the
> > same path that Apache has followed were the currency of trade is
> > source code.
> > i.e. Yes we will work with you, but we want some of your source code
> > hacks.)
> >
> > 5. Would driver authors be willing to release their drivers under
> > multiple
> > different licenses?
> >
> > 6. If the UDI drivers are only available in a binary format, would this
> > not
> > violate a primary premise that freeware/OpenSource implies.
> > Premise: Only trust software you have the source code for.
> > Implied Premise: Never trust software you do not have the source code
> > for.
> >
> > I am sure there are other questions concerning the Licensing Issues, but
> > these are the ones which come to mind first.

<major snip>

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

When the toast is burnt
and all the milk has turned
and Captain Crunch is waving farewell
when the Big One finds you
may this song remind you that they
don't serve breakfast in hell
==Breakfast==Newsboys

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.083 / U:0.032 seconds]