SubjectRe: Implementing Meta File information in Linux
In message <199809012307.TAA18782@jupiter.cs.uml.edu>, "Albert D. Cahalan"
writ
es:
+-----
| Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds@kjahds.com)
| > This seems to decide the issue right here: any solution based on ReiserFS,
| > or an expanded ext2fs, would be intrinsically unportable. Such techniques
| > could be used, but only as a Linux-local optimization. Otherwise, we kill
| > portability and transportability, which contradicts the entire point of
| > the game.
| I think not. New features have to start somewhere, and they spread
| to other filesystems as time passes. We already need a forked
| file API for ntfs, hfs, and smbfs.
+--->8

hpfs currently ignores OS/2 extended attributes, and msdos doesn't even know
to look for "\EA DATA. SF" (extended attributes on OS/2 FAT fs).

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans