    SubjectRe: Implementing Meta File information in Linux
    In message <>, "Albert D. Cahalan"
    | Kenneth Albanowski (
    | > This seems to decide the issue right here: any solution based on ReiserFS,
    | > or an expanded ext2fs, would be intrinsically unportable. Such techniques
    | > could be used, but only as a Linux-local optimization. Otherwise, we kill
    | > portability and transportability, which contradicts the entire point of
    | > the game.
    | I think not. New features have to start somewhere, and they spread
    | to other filesystems as time passes. We already need a forked
    | file API for ntfs, hfs, and smbfs.

    hpfs currently ignores OS/2 extended attributes, and msdos doesn't even know
    to look for "\EA DATA. SF" (extended attributes on OS/2 FAT fs).

    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
    system administrator [WAY too many hats]
    electrical and computer engineering KF8NH
    carnegie mellon university

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:11.300 seconds]